Feedback

On Thursday, I contacted my tutor and asked for a feedback tutorial for that day to help me gain an understanding of how my CV should look, but we ended up talking about all of my work which I’m really thankful for as it let me know what i needed to do to move forward in my work and improve.

We started with my CV where I had to share my screen, my first question being whether the example template I switched to on Vmock was better than or more appropriate than my own CV I made in word with my own layout, which I was immediately told not to worry because the Vmock site used a science layout and it was just there to help with words in sentences. We then looked at my original CV in word and went over it piece by piece, pointing out which sections were strong and how to fix the others such as my personal statement as I told him I was struggling with how to phrase my last sentence.

Starting with the background colours, I was advised to get rid of the little box I put my name in as 3 different shades of green was too overwhelming in a CV so i deleted it and pulled up the colour beneath it so there were now two solid colours. Next i had to change the colour of the writing on the left as i didn’t have a reason why it was in a different colour from everything else, and it attracted unnecessary attention towards itself before the important information, breaking the crucial hierarchy. Sorting through the fonts, sizing of fonts and their layouts i then deleted unnecessary words that made my bullet points too long, switched round the chronological order of my experiences so it went from most recent to earliest and fixed my personal statement.

Below is the finished version of my CV updated from all the feedback from this session. The leaf is just an icon from Word that I’m using as a placeholder until i create my own logo as i know i want it to incorporate a leaf, but I’m not sure how.

Next we had a look at my showreel where I was given advice on how to lay out the order of my work and the reasons as to why. There was a section where my animation wasn’t too strong so was advised to remove it as your showreel is only as strong as the weakest piece. There wasn’t much to talk about at this point as I hadn’t been able to develop my reel too far but I was given recommendations on what to put in my showreel and what order.

Lastly, we talked about my environment and I was given tips on how to more accurately control the lighting in my scene, including the use of Photoshop. I went through a lot of different settings, just messing around with colours, exposure and fog features to create an environment closest to what i had imagined.