Week 8 – rough storyboard animatic

After getting all our storyboards sorted out and everyone was on the same track, we started to rough out our animations with a storyboard animatic. This included sound effects, movements of the characters and/or environment and starting to piece the whole story together with your group.

My group, the bioluminescence world, decided we’d use a side angle shot so it’d be easier to transition into everybody’s animatics. We all used a “fancy” transition of something either falling, swiping or just blocking the camera lens in general to transition to the next person’s scene, done by adding a greenscreen at the end of each animatic and adding them together in after effects, chroma keying the next scene onto the green screen and adding an opacity timer.

For my personal storyboard, i had to change it quite a bit as when Alec and Sarah jumped in to give us feedback, i was made aware that my initial storyboard was too long and complicated and it’d be a hard task to draw out all the frames necessary for it to work. I took this feedback and changed the story to a more simplistic and interesting storyline, where the child is no longer scared of the creature and her sharp teeth are incorporated.

I used procreate on my iPad to draw everything out, but since we’ve been advised to invest in something like “Rough Animator” I’m going to look into it. I do however have it on my phone, so I know a little bit about how to navigate it.

Above is my animatic followed by my revamped storyboard.