Vertical Slice – Week 13

On week 13 of our vertical slice project, we have been focusing on bringing in the enemy’s into the game, developing the animations/puzzles/AI mechanics. I have been finalising some art assets and helping out with discussions when possible.

This week I started designing the banners. I wanted them to have a similar design to the door signs I created, and using the same Harrington font we are using throughout the game to make this. Simas provided me with the model of two banners and I took the role to texture them.

I wrote out a variety of slogans that suit the setting of a toy store, like ‘deal of the day’, ‘sale now on’ and ‘buy one get one half price’. I stuck with a similar colour scheme and the same paint brush style for the background. These will be placed around the shelves of the toy store, possibly above the display toys.

I made a design for the second banner design that will present a welcome note for the customers. I added the faces of our main enemy characters for additional entertainment and attraction to the store.

I brought the model into Substance Painter and placed in three layers for each version into the same project for compressed workload. I added an embroidered fabric material to the sign strings of the banner, and added the images in as a texture – adjusting it to the size of the model.

There has been great progress inside the game from my teammates shown in the screenshots below:

A collection of models have been placed in the toy collectors room and the bathrooms. In addition the lighting has made good progress with the use of the ceiling lights, and the rect light mechanic to light up the areas. Light flickers also work too.

The good bear rig has been added to the game with some animations coming along. The UI for the main menu has also been implemented and fits our theme very well.

Again this week I spent time to focus on my other modules on top of this. My role as of now in this project is to ensure the art assets are working ok, and helping out others when they need. I am still making sure I am attending group meetings with teammates to see how the mechanics/AI/animations are coming along.