References

I used a couple of different references for movements, including both scenes from already existing media and scenes which I set up myself to photograph. This was helpful for scenes which I could not find any reference for as it allowed me to think about the composition and how to make the shots more accurate in terms of character placement and poses.

For the scene where Fern does the magic i used a reference from Harry Potter where Hermione casts a spell. I thought that this would be an accurate way to make it look like she was casting a spell with a full range of motion. I really wanted to capture anticipation in this shot, one of the 12 principle of animation so I think this was a good solid reference to use.

For these reference poses I set them up myself in order to fix the perspective which was a big issue in some of my shots. Particularly the shot above, where the hand goes out of the ground and reaches towards Fern as in my original animatic it was not immediately clear that the hand was in the foreground of the shot, and Fern was in the background- this made things look as if it was a giant hand next to a normal sized person. By posing these scenes with my teammates I was able to improve the shot a lot.

This shot was difficult to animate smoothly so I was luckily able to pose a family member to help me with animating the shot. I took a burst of shots and edited them together (See above) which was really helpful. Then I was able to look at the video and my timeline at once.