IXD103 Week 1: Tone of voice exercises

Inanimate object exercise

I smell great, especially when I’m on fire.

Revised: I smell great, especially when I’m lit. (still get a bit of a play on words with lit being a more accurate description of what happens to a candle)

Tweet review exercise

I love this book, it’s a must-read if you’re interested in self-motivation and personal development. If you want more success in your life I would definitely recommend!

Read, motivation, development, success

Revised tweet: I love this book. It covers topics of self-motivation and personal development. Inspirational! (I felt the rhetorical questions at the end of my first version came across to sales orientated and cheesy so I swapped it out for a description)

Revised words: Read, motivation, development, inspirational

Think and grow rich description illustration

For the illustration, I wanted to reflect the idea of achievement and success. I, therefore, drew a stick figure person (I didn’t want to include a specific gender) at the top of a mountain peak with a dotted path to demonstrate the figures journey and a higher peak behind the figure to suggest that there isn’t a finishing point. I also included the figure waving a flag to represent their sense of achievement.

Elevator Exercise

Jessica has just finished a foundation art course and is now pursuing a career in UX Design as she prefers digital and technology-based design work to practical arts-focused work. She’s currently living in the University Halls and is planning on renting a house next year with 6 of the girls she is living with. Jessica has two older siblings, a brother and a sister and both are working/studying programming.

Friendly, genuine, technology orientated, artistic.

What have I learnt?

• These were very fun exercise that helped me to review how I describe things naturally and how I adapt or change my descriptions in writing. This is not always helpful as concise, honest and direct descriptions often work better when copywriting.
  • There are numerous ways to present a concept including verbally, in writing and visually.
  • Avoid unnecessary questions

How can I apply this to my work in future?

• When writing content in the future it may be helpful to strip back what I’m saying and try to make it to the point and concise.
  • When creating content I can avoid sounding cheesing by not including unnecessary questions or over the top descriptions.