As my pitch is more geared towards charity fundraisers I took a little time to research how to present a non-profit pitch. I found the following guide particularly helpful.
Some interesting points and key takeaways were as follows:
- The pitch is an introduction, it won’t answer all questions but it should encourage engagement
- There should be key takeaways that stand alone and don’t require the slide deck
- Compelling pitch decks are concise, tell a story, are visual, 10-13 slides.
- The pitch should define the organization’s identity
- The pitch should sharpen the organization’s core message
- The pitch should hone in on and prioritize the most important market segments or sources of expertise, labour or funding.
- How they can help or your “Ask”/Concrete next steps
- Levels of Funding (what do they get in return)
- Visibility, Outreach
I have considered these points as well as the structure provided in our lecture on the topic to develope the following content plan:
The above plan lays out the following structure:
Slide 1 Cover Slide- Include product name and slogan
Slide 2 Facts about homelessness
Slide 3 Vision
Slide 4 Problem
Slide 5 Statistics on cashlessness
Slide 6 Case study
Slide 7 Attempted solutions
Slide 8 Solution
Slide 9 How the system works
Slide 10 Market Research- User research survey
Slide 11 McDonalds success
Slide 12 Spend local success
Slide 13 Impact of charities in the area
Slide 14 The ask
Slide 15 Facts about homelessness in NI
Slide 16 Dylans Story
Slide 17 Thank you
In the above structure of my content, I have largely stuck to the general structure of an investor pitch. I have however made some additions in order to provide context on the need for my product. This includes opening with facts about homelessness and including facts specific to NI and a direct quote from a child who is currently homeless at the end. I decided to include these additional slides as they help me to tell the story of homelessness from a number of points of view. The first point of view I want to demonstrate is homelessness overall impact on society and how it could directly impact the people I am pitching to. The second is how people not carrying change is impacting the homeless. The third point of view is its impact on families and children living in Northern Ireland. I wanted to include as many first-hand perspectives as much as possible as this is far more relatable and will have a greater impact in my opinion. I have scattered these accounts throughout my presentation alongside the important information required in all investor pitches.
In addition to what I have included above, following feedback, I decided to include an additional slide after slide 9 that outlines the systems impact on the homeless, businesses and charaties.