IXD302 CV Research- Grid Structure

Grid Systems in Graphic Design by Josef Müller-Brockmann

Example grid structures by Brockmann

The above examples {1-4) show a grid structure that might be used in a book. They also utilise the Golden Section otherwise known as the Golden Ration (1+ square root √5)/2 a subject that I have looked at in more detail in previous posts. While I do intend to split my pages further than one column per page that may be something to consider when it comes to margins. It is also important to note that the above structure is generally used for more lengthy books and the placement of text consider how pages will appear when folded. This is not something that I will be concerned with as it is recommended that CV’s are between 1 to 2 pages at a maximum.

Example grid structures by Brockmann

The above outcomes I fend very interestingly as they begin to consider heading placements and 2 column layouts. I think that there is the possibility for some very interesting outcomes using the above grids. I particularly like the idea of incorporating some asymmetry into my design as seen in example 8.

Example grid structures by Brockmann

The above outcomes are becoming a lot more intricate and combine various column structures on one page (example 15 and 19). This could be a great way of defining different sections clearly and it could be very helpful in allowing me to fit a maximum amount of information into one page.

Example grid structures by Brockmann

The above examples include up to 10 columns. These structures would be far too narrow to actually house content but they could act as effective guides on where to place content e.g. subheading text could be placed from column 1 to 3 and body text 5 to 10.

Example grid structures by Brockmann

Above are some more simple 1, 2, 3 and 4 column structures. As a relative beginner to using the grid structure, the above structures seem like a great place to start. I think the above structures are simple and effective. I definitely plan to begin with the above when starting the wireframing process for my CV.