IXD301 Elements Project Organising Periodic Table Data

One of the tasks in class this week was to organise raw data taken from the periodic table.

Periodic table content

Periodic table key

Above is the table I produced in Excel using the raw data provided. I organised it into 8 columns:

• Symbol
  • Element Name
  • Atomic Number
  • Classification
  • Group
  • Orbitals
  • Atomic Weight
  • Year Discovered

I added a filter to the top of each section so that the information could be ordered alphabetically or numerically by each of the above topics. As I am not familiar with Orbitals and what the letters relate to I also included an Obritals Key defining what each letter means and giving a brief description of what Orbitals are.

Periodic table content for children

I then decided to create a list of the elements I am planning on incorporating in my app and include information that children will actually be able to understand like metal/non-metal and the elements physical state at room temperature. This was a very helpful exercise as it pushed me to consider what the attributes are that are shared by elements that are not always presented on the periodic table. It also gave me a few new ideas of how to present elements in a way that children will be able to understand.

Above outcomes in spreadsheet format periodic table content organisation