5 Steps to Creating a UX-Design Portfolio

To summarise a portfolio highlights your design process and any previous work as it shows others who you are as a designer. The process of creating a UX-design portfolio allows you to reflect on your skills and achievements.

What Hiring Managers Are Looking For?

According to research carried out by nngroup.com, they asked UX professionals what type of things they look for in a portfolio.

Ideally Mangers/Employers want to see:

• the process of your work, sketches, how you developed the product and the research you carried out.
  • Start off explaining the problem and how you came up with the solution.
  • Talk about the role, constraints, development, and the research to help with the design.
  • It’s important to reflect on your work and talk about any improvements you would make.

The people who view your portfolio could be employers, managers, or other UX designers, so it’s important to appeal to everyone and make sure it looks professional and stands out from the crowd.

There are 5 main steps when designing a portfolio site.

Step 1: Take Inventory of All your projects. Basically, take a note of any previous projects that you have worked on. It’s important to ask yourself specific questions to help narrow down the choices. Therefore, choose your best and most appropriate projects based on the role or placements you are applying for. Make sure the projects showcase your best skills.

Step 2: Choose 3-5 Projects as Detailed Case Studies. When creating a portfolio, it’s important to have Quality over quantity. Make sure to choose a couple of better projects to showcase your work demonstrating skills etc.

Step 3: Choose Your Desired Format. It’s important for your portfolio to tell a story. Use a range of text and visuals to distinct projects. Plan the structure of your site. Designing a web-based portfolio is the most common. The website should mainly focus on your content and be user friendly.

Step 4: Create/Design your Portfolio. After you plan go on to creating your site making sure the content is all included.

Step 5: Get Feedback and Iterate. Once you create your portfolio site show it to someone and let them critic your work as they will help you make improvements. The portfolio will be a continuing work in progress.

Reflection

Portfolios are the best way of seeing a designer’s process. When I am creating my portfolio site, I will use these steps. I will ensure I highlight my work and skills in way that is appropriate and visually appealing which will in favour help me land placement job which I am currently seeking for. I will hopefully do myself justice.