Week 8- Idea Generation

This weeks talk was on Idea Generation which in favour help us prepare us to to pitch out ideas for a digital product. This pitch will happen in week 12.

Examples of product could be a:

• Web site
  • Native Application
  • Web Apps
  • eBook
  • Printed Book
  • Cards
  • Physical System
  • Packaging System
  • Game (app, board game)
  • Connected product
  • or literally anything…

Daniel explained the importance of taking risks and don’t be afraid to fail. Its important to try out ideas. It’s easier to simplify and dumb down an idea than it is to make a boring are exciting.

Daniel then spoke about the 9 generations methods that we could use to help us come up with range of ideas. These are the following:

• Mind mapping
  • Brainstorming ideas
  • Visual Thinking
  • Sketching out
  • Making connections
  • Worst Way/ Unintended Consequences
  • Ask What if…? or How might we..?
  • Inspiration
  • Osborn Checklist

After our lecture we went to the studio, were we sat in groups to help and tried out of these methods. Our group choose the making connections system. As a group we tried coming up with ideas for a digital product. This allowed us to be as creative and innovated as possible. The categories we randomly got were GPS, Health, Documentary and Under 10. We came up with a couple of ideas but it was difficult at the start to come with many ideas.

Ideas

1. A GPS App that documents the health of under 10.
  2. A wearable product that connect to an app and monitors under 10’s health. There is a button to press incase of an emergency.
  3. The App can show locations of the nearest GP, doctors, chemist to help with their health.
  4. Another idea is parents can track their kids location as well as their health and documents if they are sick.

Reflection

I thought this lecture was beneficial. I learned about a lot of different methods to help generate ideas. I will try use some of these methods to help me generate ideas for my own product which I will eventually pitch. Also I need to willing to take chances, as some of the best ideas may be crazy and weird but may interest others.

For this week I am going to try to brainstorm/ minds map and sketch a couple of ideas for my digital product.