Morning class:

For this week’s class we watched the presentations that we were working on last week. Our groups presentation was first; we received some really good feedback:

– Good research

– Add more scenes to the animatic

– Shorten or remove the sleep scene

– Decide with or without ARMS for the ghost

– Design ghost with 3D in mind

– Make second animatic

I really liked everyone’s story ideas, they are all really unique and interesting sounding! I can’t wait to see the final animations.

Afternoon Class:

After lunch we learned about Previs. It’s a simpler version of the animation or film to test the pacing and movements before production on the more complicated animation. We were also tasked with completing the videos Alec uploaded on to blackboard.

—Exercise – 01 – Animating to Sound—

To add sound into Maya, either drag and drop it onto the timeline or import it in. Using step preview mode I made the key poses of the character.

I used the dope sheet to space out the key frames and ensure that the movements were all saved together. After I adjusted the timing on the animation.

Added some in betweens and adjusted the timing of the audio.

Finally I tweaked the animation a bit and used playblast to export my animation. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Homework/Assignment 1:

For homework we were tasked with finishing the exercises from today’s class and making more progress in assignment 3.

—Exercise – 02 – Virtual Camera—

In exercise 2 we were shown how to create and animate camera movements in Maya. It’s the same principles as animating in Maya.

I created a camera and clicked on the ‘panels -> perspective -> camera1’ tab to see from the perspective of the camera. After I turned on the ‘resolution gate’ and key framed some camera positions.

—Exercise – 03 – Playblast—

In exercise 3 it looked at how to create a playblast and what settings to use when exporting.

–Exercise – 04 – 3D Previs—

For this final exercise we were tasked with recreating a scene from Jurassic Park. There was no tutorial to follow  for this exercise but Alec mentioned that he may record how he did it and upload it to Blackboard next week.

I firstly keyframed the main poses of the animation.

I imported the sound and matched the keyframes. Exported as a playblast.

Thoughts:

I had a lot of fun completing these exercises this week! I especially enjoyed making the Jurassic Park Previs. I never knew that this was something that the industry did when creating media, I can see how useful it would be when creating our animation for assignment 3.

Assignment 3:

This week Danielle and I met up to discuss what parts of the kitchen we would be modelling.

Progress:

We took the lineart of the kitchen design and assigned who was modelling what. Once we decided what parts we wanted to model we ended the meeting and began to look for references.

—References—

Found these on Pixabay.

—Modelling—

Began to block out the room for the animation based on the concept we produced last week.

Final Thoughts:

I am happy with the progress that I have made and I hope to start modelling the kitchen next week.  We will need to arrange a meeting with the full group sometime next week as well to check on everyone’s progress.