Class:

During this week’s class we had a lecture on the modeling pipeline and its stages. These include, the importance of references, breaking down the object into simple shapes, modeling in phases, UV wrapping which we will go over in more detail in the next class, texturing and rendering.  I’m very interested in learning about UV wrapping and rendering as they can make a model look really professional, polished and complete.

Later in class we reviewed some more tools in Maya and the problems of having triangles and ngons in a model. Triangles can be unpredictable and can sometimes alter the shape of the model so it is best to use them sparingly and where possible, keep them out of view.

Due to high demand from the class, we got to have a quick look at a character model which was interesting. I enjoyed getting to see the character and how it was broken down into only the necessary parts, for example, the boots that the character wore didn’t have legs underneath as it would have been unnecessary.

At the end of class we reviewed everyone’s vases that we were tasked with modeling the previous week. I thought that everyone’s vases look great and I really enjoyed seeing the diversity in the choices of vases and the textures that some people did.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Homework:

For homework this week we were tasked with completing another modelling challenge and researching topics and gathering references for the topic that we want to model.

I have chosen to model a Magic Witch / Wizard Staff with a clock/time theme.

References:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Modelling Challenge – Table

1. For this modelling challenge, we were provided with some references of a table that Alec wanted us to model.

.

2. I opened Maya and created a ‘New Scene’, ensuring to label it correctly so that I can find it easily in the future in case I make a mistake or need to use the previous version of the model.

3. I put all of the reference images into the ‘sourceimages’ folder and imported them into Maya as ‘image planes’ and arranged them on the edges of the working area. I ensured to turn all the ‘image planes’ into references so that when I work I don’t disturb the references.

Beginning to model:

—Legs—

4. Firstly, I created a cylinder and adjusted the thickness and height of it. I added ‘edge loops’ at the contours of the legs and adjusted the scale of the ‘edge loops’. 

5. The legs needed more refinement so I added more ‘edge loops’  and ‘bevels’ to the bottom of the legs.

6. I decided to do another pass and added even more ‘edge loops’ and ‘bevels’ to the top half of the legs.

7. I took a step back and used the smooth view to see how the leg was looking.

8. I found a mistake. I must have scaled one of the edge loops by grabbing the side instead of the middle.

9. To fix the mistake I made, I just deleted the edge loops using the command ‘Ctrl + Delete’ and added new ones in its place.

10. After fixing my mistake, I made some small tweaks to the leg and removed the ngons from the top and bottom of the leg.

—Leg Attachment—

11. To begin, I created a cube and adjusted it to match the reference. I added a ‘bevel’ and ‘edge loops’ to the bottom of the block and adjusted them.

12. I grouped the two pieces of the legs together.

13. The Leg is complete!

—Table Supports—

14. To start, I created a cube and adjusted the size. I added a ‘bevel’ to the bottom, front edge of the support.

15. I cloned the piece and rotated it 90° anti-clockwise and positioned it with the leg. I grouped the leg and table support pieces.

16. I cloned the group and rotated it, lining up the pieces I grouped them.

17. The table supports are completed!

—Table Top—

18. For the table top I created a cube and adjusted the size and added ‘bevels’ to the top and bottom edges.

19. The table top is complete!

—Assembly—

20. I placed all the pieces together and grouped them.

21. The table is completed!

Finishing touches:

22. I deleted the history of all the pieces of the table and reset their positions by selecting the whole table and selecting ‘freeze transformations’. This reset the position of the table.

Final Thoughts:

I am very happy with how this model turned out! I felt a lot more confident using Maya this time round and enjoyed the process of sculpting the legs the most. I hardly referred back to the video tutorials that Alec posted for the vase so I am very proud of myself for being able to make this model.