Class:

Morning class:

In the morning Henry gave a lecture on analysing films. Some examples are ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and ‘Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse’. We looked at the composition of the backgrounds of ‘Sleeping Beauty’ and the use of different frame rates in ‘Into the Spider-Verse’.

After this, Aodhan gave a lecture on ‘Primal’. We looked at the narrative structure, the use of colour, telling a story without words and a bit on character design.

After the lectures, we discussed what is required for the first assessment and ways that it could be presented to the class.

Afternoon Class:

After the lunch break, Yuan gave a lecture on film and breaking down the main features of a film. All films share something in common, narrative which is a chain of linked events. Film analysis is the process of taking something apart and figuring out how it fits together. In films, the audience has expectations of what will happen but this can sometime be diverted.

We viewed some examples during class:

• Negative Space
  • American Beauty
  • Johnny Express
  • Super Generic

We also reviewed the importance of time in films and how it can be used to create suspense, surprise and can be used to emphasise importance.

After this, Aodhan gave another lecture on the importance of sound design. It can be used to enhance the visuals and we saw some examples of this in:

• Colaz
  • Double King
  • Fever the Ghost

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Homework/Assignment 1:

For this week’s homework we were tasked with focusing on completing the presentations and handing on the day of the deadline: Wednesday the 10th of February.

Progress:

Edited down my presentation notes and created my script.

I recorded my lines for the video presentation and posted them to Neave through Discord so that she could edit the presentation together.

I also created my sprites for the presentation and wrote my Peer Assessment.

Final Thoughts:

I feel I managed my time well for this assessment as I finished all my work by the deadline that the group set which was Tuesday the 9th, this was to ensure that Neave could edit all the clips together.