Typography (Micro and Macro)

This week was all about typography, on both a micro and macro level.

During this lecture, Kyle told us about the best way to produce web-friendly content. We were also given advice on choosing typefaces, typescales, and good use of correct grammar.

We were later given some links to good resources that will help us move forward with the correct use of typography in our project.

“Typography exists to honour content.”

-Bringhurst

Good Web-Friendly Content

• Highlights key words
  • Uses meaningful subheadings
  • Embraces lists
  • Reduces word count
  • Uses blockquotes

Web-friendly content eases users in, and makes reading a joy!

Typography at the Page Level

5 Rules:

1. Focus on body copy
  2. Choose a comfortable point size (15-25px)
  3. Consider leading
  4. Maintain the measure (line width)
  5. Select a legible typeface

Kyle suggested that a project usually won’t have more than two or three typefaces, and to focus on pairing them well. Titles and subtitles should have more character, whereas, the body copy should be more subdued. We were shown some good examples of this.

I plan on looking to type-scale.com to find the perfect hierarchy for my project, as well as experimenting with different typefaces to find which will pair best together.

Thoughts

I found this lecture to be very interesting. I love learning about typography, and getting a deeper understanding of how to use it effectively. I thought Kyle gave us lots of really great resources to look to, as well as showing us helpful examples during class. Learning more about how to effectively use type on a micro and macro level has helped me be more considerate in my choices, and I look forward to putting my new knowledge to use moving forward.