Day 3 – Fine Art Painting Workshop Painting from Our Class Assemblage with Life Model

For our final day in painting, we painted our assemblage again but with a life model within the composition to make the paintings more interesting. For the three 5-minute paintings we used black India ink, and after each 5-minute pose the life model down, I layered the next two poses onto to create a sense of movement and rhythm through the marks the Indian ink made.

For the next two paintings we had to do a 15-minute and a 30-minute painting in gouache, while a video on the projector was playing within our assemblage and on the life model. I found this part of the workshop enjoyable as I never used gouache before and being able to create expressive but interesting marks within the paintings. I feel that the painting has a sense of calm based off the colours I chose to use and mix together and feel that I captured more in the 5 minutes, as it was quick and the Indian ink flew nicely, whereas with the 15 minute and 30-minute painting I found that I loved the life model in some parts of the paintings.