Week 5: Retopology Part 1 (Waiter character)

Retopology went quicker this unit as I remembered most of the techniques from last semester’s unit. It was an added challenge though that this was the first human character I have retopologised. I went back to the tutorial videos from last semester and used them to help me out.

I finished the head fairly quickly, leaving space for the mouth and eyes. As I moved down the body, I decided to use this reference of knee topology to make sure the joints worked as intended when the figure was rigged.

This is the waiter fully retopologised. I will do his hair later down the road.

I then went into sculpt mode and shifted some verts around with the move tool so that everything looked neater overall.

I began mapping out the clothes with plains.

This is the finished shirt, tie, sleeves and trousers.

I then began work on the apron.

I added more quads with the loop tool and used sculpt mode to push the apron closer to the body.

I then added a loop around the back where I would later add a bow.

After this, I used a solidify modifier so none of the body was peeking through.

The final apron.

I decided to delete the trousers and instead do the same thing via extruding from the body (meaning I didn’t have to connect the verts from the body mesh and the trouser mesh), but the extrude and bevel options were messing up.

I realised it was because the normals had flipped, so I fixed them and there were no more issues.

Lastly was the shoes. I extruded them from the feet and made sure the soles were flat before moving on.