Easter: Hair, Multires & Texturing

1: HAIR

After finishing the rig and retopology, I needed to get the hair done. I knew I wanted it to be messy and dishevelled, so I looked up references and compiled them, drawing over the flow of the hair to get an idea of what I wanted.

I followed the video below to make the hair strands out of curves.

Following the tutorial:

After I got the strands sorted, I began placing them on the model’s head, following the flow from my reference.

The finished hair:

I converted the curves into mesh and joined them all into one object, but there were too many verts, so I used the decimate modifier to cut down the detail.

The result:

I tried to join the hair to the body with automatic weights, but it didn’t want to work.

I joined it with the head-bone instead, and that did the trick.

Next, I UV unwrapped every individual hair. It took a while since the decimate modifier had made it so there were no flowing lines (putting the modifier on a lower level with flowing lines meant the strands still had too many verts).

I then sized all the UVs together.

2: MULTI-RES

When I was doing multi-res, I noticed that the jaw bone was affecting the shirt, tie and apron. I asked for help on the discord:

rig help

Alec helped me out, and his fix worked.

This is the model with the multires modifier:

I used this pic as a reference for how sharp I wanted the edges.

This is the model with most of the multi res done (I went back and added more later):

The normals refused to bake even though I definitely had a multires

I asked my teammate Shane for help as he had done this for the demon character already, and thankfully he had advice.

3: TEXTURING

I uploaded the FBXs to substance, using the high res one as the baked detail.

However, the model still looked pixelated, so I added some more layers of multires.

After reuploading, it looked better. However, I thought I should have more detail in the sculpt, so I went back and added more wrinkles in the clothes.

Finished model:

I used a colour picker to collect the HEX codes of the colours in my turnaround and bookmarked them in substance.

I got all the basic colours down and turned down all the roughness to get the look I wanted.

Added grey colour variation in the hair:

Using brushes to get the ‘grungy’ blend I detailed in the art guide:

I realised that the bow on the back of the apron looked odd, so I went into blender and realised that the normals were flipped.

I flipped them back and was worried that I would have to start texturing again, but thanks to the below video I was able to fix it:

I started adding the graphic lines on the model:

Final model:

I brought the textures into blender to check they worked. The normal map from substance baked the low res seams into it (I’m still not sure why) but with the help of a tutor I made a normal map based off the model in blender and used it instead.