Week 2: Art Style Guide

As a culmination of all the concept work, sketches and feedback, I began working on the finalised character turnarounds. I gave the characters more realistic proportions, as that was one of the features in many of the games I referenced (The Walking Dead, Borderlands etc).

I did a variation of the skin tone to be more demon-red at the request of TJ (one of the game design students). 

However, Sweeny (an animation student who’s working on the environment) informed me that the red blended in too much with the background, so I changed it back to a more human skin tone. This is the final version of the waiter’s design:

Next, I did the demon’s turnaround. Again, I tried to make the proportions slightly more realistic, but I wanted the demon to be a nice middle: more exaggerated than its’ human counterpart to better portray its rage and rampages through visual means, but not as exaggerated as the concept art. Originally, I had made the skin tone the same colour as the waiter’s tie to tie it together:

But Sweeny gave me an example of a colour that would work better on the background:

This is the final turnaround plus notes:

I kept some ripped clothes on the demon as a reference to the Hulk, who was one of the inspirations.

Next, I did line guides. 

I used this picture of Peter B Parker (Into the Spiderverse) to help plan out how I wanted the final product to look in terms of the graphic lines. 

After this, I created an expression guide to help explain how I wanted the characters to look when animated. I wanted a distinction between how the waiter’s anger was expressed vs the demon, so I carried on with the division of exaggeration. The demon is a personification of the waiter’s rage and is far more fitted in the dangerous and unrealistic world of demons and monsters, so his expressions are pushed further than the waiter, who is actively trying to stay in control. 

Lastly, I did a height comparison to scale the characters to one another in blender.

I wanted the demon to be a good bit bigger than the waiter to showcase that his fury was pushing at his walls for a long time before bursting out, no longer able to be contained in the puny human body. 

All the finalised art can be located in the Art Style Guide.