Categories
Animation Strategies - Assignment 2

Animation Exercises and Development

Throughout Semester 1, I did a lot of animation experiments that helped improved my fundamental skills in animation that acted as solid progression to my three outcomes for this assignment – one source of learning came from the Berkeley College class with Chris Carter, where I was given a series of character animation tasks.

See below:

Ball Bounce

ball 2

This was a great exercise in weight which helped me a lot with my assignments – it challenged me to think about speed, impact as well as key fade-in/fade-out principles for animation.

Fox Jump

fox 3

This task covered the basics of a pendulum, and introduced the concept of balancing S curves and C curves to create a visually dynamic and interesting result. I learned a lot from this jump that I applied to my body mechanics assignment, as well as to the hair for all three.

First Walk Cycle

Walk Cycle 3

This was my first walk cycle, which was a great first step (no pun intended) for me to take while studying this module. My biggest flaw was the jumping/snapping in the knew joints. Chris Carter often stressed to iron out curves towards the end and make sure there are not any small errors in what should be a clean curve. I did this in my final assignments to make sure there was no snapping. I also found moving the contact pose back a little helped with the overall flow for Azri’s design specifically.

We also did several animation exercises in class on Maya (see link) – I learned a lot here specifically about in-betweens and breakdowns.