IXD104- Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling- Book Review

I choose to research the Book called “Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling” by Jason Lankow, Josh Ritchie and Ross Crooks. This booked started off with an introduction which covered a brief history of Infographics, the purpose of this book, How to use this book. It then explored 10 different chapters all to do with Infographics.

The World around us is changing. The way information is shared today has changed the we communicate today. Infographics and data visualisations are visually effective way of sharing information and getting the message across in exciting and interesting way to a specific audience.

This book shows you how to use visual communication to attract and get your point across to your choosen audience

Infographics have been around from the early cave paintings to the modern-day data visualisation. People have always had different ways of displaying information in a visual form. Infographics have been spotted back during the victorian area. It shows some examples of infographics.

The purpose of this book is focusing on improving business communication. They hope the readers will be informed and inspired by the use of infographic thinking.

Throughout this book it uses specific terms such as:

• Information: This is knowledge of word, numbers, or concepts that can be communicated.
  • Data- This is quantifiable information. In this book, data is mostly numerical.
  • Data Set- A collection of data through visulaisation.
  • Design- The concept, functionality and graphic out intended to solve a specific problem.
  • Illustration- A hand-drawn image.
  • Visulisation
  • Data Visulisation
  • Information Design
  • Infographic

Chapter 1: Importance and Efficacy: Why our Brains Love Infographics.

This chapter will present explains the importance of visual communication and how best to use it.

Chapter 2: Infographic Formats: Choosing The Right Vechicle For Your Message

Chapter 3, 4, 6 and 7: Applications

Chapter 5: Content Distribution: Sharing you Story

Chapter 8: What makes A Good Infographic?

Chapter 9: Information Design Best Practices

Chapter 10: The Future of Infographics

This chapter will help use to stay on top of the latest trends and technologies. Infographics are constatnly updating and it’s important information is revelant.

Throughtout this book there was alot of interesting examples of Infographics which were used to represent specific information in visual way.

Information graphics are basically aimed at communication infromation.  Each purpose is different.

This book is a good read. It has give me a good insight into understanding Infographics as well as the best practices. It has helped me gain more knowledge and give me inspriation when designing and thinking of ideas for my own Infographic. I would 100% recommend this book for anyone looking a clearer understanding of Infographics.

By researching this book I am aware of the various forms of infographics and data visualisation designs and the best pratics for each one. I also now the importance of promoting content through the use of social media to share my designs. I know the do and don’ts of information design and how to create more interesting, accurate and effective infographic designs to help me to attract users. I looked breifly into the emegring trend and technologies of infographics in future which i found interesting. Overall I learned alot which will help me in my further designs going forward.