The topic of this week’s workshops was colour. Colour plays a crucial part in animation due to its ability to define characters and environments, convey mood and emotion, and increase an animation’s overall appeal and effectiveness by making work more vivid, immersive, and memorable for the audience (Business of Animation, n.d.)

To help us better understand this important visual tool, our first task was to, in our groups, compose five colour palettes which reflect the personality and mood of our chosen ‘world,’ with the results below, which I will now incorporate into my final animation, created using the ‘extract theme’ function in Adobe Colour to enable us to choose specific colours that convey the eerie night time setting, and current medieval-modern Halloween Bar theme.

Next, in a quick exercise intended to enhance our grasp of the relationship between colours on the colour wheel, and to practice our Adobe Colour skills, we were tasked to find and photograph items around campus comprising of complimentary, analogous, and monochrome palettes.

Complimentary

Analogous

Monochromatic

Then, in our final task, we were asked to apply colour to our previous week’s ‘tone and value’ sketches, but with my sketchbook at home, I instead coloured two of Krita thumbnails for my bar interior.

All in all, the morning provided a beneficial, fun and timely reminder of the colour theory covered in GCSE Art; much of which I’d admittedly forgotten over the past two years, but will now endeavour to include in my animations.

References:

Business of Animation. (n.d.). How Animators Use Colour in Animation to Influence Viewers. [online]. [Accessed: 22 October 2023].

Available at: https://businessofanimation.com/how-animators-use-color-in-animation/