Following up From Week 7

After our first group critique a few days ago, I need to make a few changes to my design.

The changes I decided to make were:

1. Changing the typeface of my word-mark
  2. Changing the navigation bar

Choosing a new word-mark typeface

I need to pick a new serif typeface to use for my word-mark. I always enjoy the process of choosing a typeface, because I enjoy looking through all of the options and thinking about how they make me feel.

I decided to put the different options into a version of the log-in screen in order to get a good idea of what they would look like when following the style of my brand.

The typefaces displayed (from left to right) are as follows:

• Cocon Pro
  • Quiche Sans
  • Quiche Sans Black
  • Highman Trial
  • a Atomic Md
  • Cocogoose

For a while, I have been feeling torn between Cocon Pro and Highman Trial, both on the far left. I think both typefaces have a fun feel to them, however, Cocon Pro has a lot more of a friendly vibe to it. The rounded edges also match the typography of my body type, as well as the tiles in my design – so this one seems to work perfectly.

Fixing the Navigation Bar

My navigation bar, with the “+” icon, works well on a couple of pages, but doesn’t make much sense in others. I don’t want to have it change as the user moves through the app, because that could get confusing.

I decided that, since I am going to include a community tab as well, it would maybe be a good idea to add this to the navigation bar so that it can be easily accessed at all times , along with the live chat feature.

I also wanted to make the home button the main feature of the navigation bar, as this option should always be easily accessible.

I also added rounded edges to the top of my nav bar to further separate it a bit from the background, as well as adding to the inviting feeling of the UI.

Old Navigation Bar:

New navigation bar:

I am unsure about the community icon, it makes me think its a match making service. I might just remove the heart and leave it as an illustration of two people instead.