Sketches

After reviewing other immersive websites, and creating my style tile, I know what kind of art direction that I want to follow. I have the colours and typography that I want to use, as well as knowing what imagery I want to include. I have also chosen which content to include from the files that Kyle supplied us with.

It’s now time to start sketching out some layouts for my potential prototype and website.

I started by using pencil on grid paper, as this is the easiest to get straighter lines and fix mistakes quickly. Seeing as we got some feedback on our sketches today, I needed my wireframes to be refined enough to be easily communicated and comprehensible.

I know that these layouts and ideas may change in the coming weeks, and they will also develop as I start creating the mockup and prototype for my Apollo11 website. Then they might change again once I get to the website stage.

Feedback

My overall feedback was positive. Kyle did say, though, that he was worried for me as my periodic table app was also spaced themed – and he didn’t want me getting sick of the theme, or use the same sorts of ideas. I did also consider this fact though, and found different typefaces to use, as well as trying to make this project more photography-based, rather than illustration-based like my periodic table app was.

Once I started to explain the kinds of animations, interactions and transitions that I was hoping to include, Kyle told me that sometimes simple works best! This eased my mind a lot as I know there will be some animations and interactions that I can make easily on Figma – but not on Webflow. I also will keep this advice in mind when creating my prototype, because I tend to shoot for the stars (no pun intended…) with these kinds of things, and give myself unrealistic goals.