This week we learned about the pose to pose method of animation. This method consists of blocking out the key poses, then adding in-betweens to smooth and refine the movement. This method makes it easier to plan a full animated sequence. This time I have chosen to use Blender as I wish to learn how to use the program. For this task I chose to animate a jump into the air and land in the spiderman pose. 

Research

After watching Mike’s tutorials, I looked on YouTube for some more to help me figure out how to add a sense of weight to the animation as this is something I tend to struggle with. 

Process

I started by blocking out my 4 key poses; crouching, jumping and landing. Mike told us to change the interpolation mode to constant so the playback would snap to the next pose rather than glide, it made blocking out much easier.

Next, I started to fill in the in-betweens to smooth the movement and adjust the timing of the jump. I then went in and added follow through to his movements, most notably on his arm and body when he lands.

Finally, I used the graph editor to sharpen his decent smooth the transitions of some of his movements. 

Outcome

Overall, I like the animation, the starting looks great. However, it does look a little floaty/weightless, I think it needed some more overshoot on the landing as well as the timing feels a bit slow.