Research- Writing a Proposal

This week, Daniel asked us to research how to write a proposal. I looked at Chapter 3 of A project guide to UX Design.

Writing a Proposal

Chapter 3 in A project Guide to UD Design is initially about writing a proposal.

The old saying goes “no good deed goes Unpunished” The hardest challenge is writing your first proposal. It’s hard to know where to begin.

Once the core of the proposal is created, you can reuse the proposal for different projects but varying were possible.

When working on projects it’s important to write a proposal as it allows there to be an agreement in place between the client and vendor.  Don’t skip writing a proposal as it helps create a better understanding and gets you ready to start work.

Well-written proposals provide clients with a sense of stability and protection, which can help alleviate many of the concerns that night arise.

A proposal also allows you to define terms that protect both sides if something changes.

Always write a proposal no questions asked.

It’s important to write a proposal properly. Although the sooner you complete the quicker you can begin your work and start earning money for your work.

The main components of a good proposal are the following:

• Title page. This is the first page which introduces the document. They can be styled in anyway. Title page normally includes elements such as: Clients company name & logo, Project title, version, submission date, authors, reference number, cost, etc.
  • Scope of Work is a section that identifies which components of the project you are responsible for, and which are the client’s responsibility. This is where you tell the client in writing what you are going to do and what they are doing.
  • Revision History which is a separate section that identities how many times you have updated your proposal from the original one. It’s important to include the version number, date, author along with any additional comments such as what was modified.
  • Assumptions is where you break down and explain to your client what is needed to achieve success in this project. This is also known as expectations.
  • Project Overview is a brief description of the project you will be working on. This should be a clear Image to your client of what you imagine the outcome will be.
  • Deliverables are the work product that you will create and turn over to the client. This section is where you give details to your client of the type of work, they can expect you to produce in this project.
  • Project Approach will vary depending on the type of project you undertake. It gives you an opportunity to explain to your client how you plan on working with them on the specific project.
  • Ownership and rights allow you to have a right to your own work and extent to which you will allow your client to use your work. Your work will fall under two categories work for hire and licensed work.
  • Additional Costs and Fees allows your client to understand the external expense of the project.
  • Payment Schedule is the schedule when payments should be made by providing invoices.
  • Project Pricing is indication to let the client know the cost by providing a quote.
  • Acknowledgement and sign-off. It’s important to ensure you have a proposal in place. Although it’s essential there is an agreement to start has been approved and signed off.

To reflect I felt this specific chapter in this book was very insightful. It gave me a better understanding of how to write a proposal and what key components I should include when I write my own proposal. I thought it was good to know about this. It gives me a good indication of the responsibilities of both the me and the client.