Jakob Nielsen, Ph.D., is a User Advocate and principal of the Nielsen Norman Group which he co-founded with a former VP of research at Apple Computer, Dr. Donald A. Norman. Before starting NNG in 1998 he was a Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer.
Dr. Nielsen founded the “discount usability engineering” movement for fast and cheap improvements of user interfaces. He has also invented several usability methods, including heuristic evaluation. He holds 79 United States patents, mainly on ways of making the Internet easier to use.
Jakob Nielsen has been called:
- “the king of usability” (Internet Magazine)
- “the guru of Web page usability” (The New York Times)
- “the next best thing to a true time machine” (USA Today)
- “the smartest person on the Web” (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
- “the world’s leading expert on Web usability” (U.S. News & World Report)
- one of the top 10 minds in small business (FORTUNE Small Business)
- “the world’s leading expert on user-friendly design” (Stuttgarter Zeitung, Germany)
- “knows more about what makes Web sites work than anyone else on the planet” (Chicago Tribune)
- “one of the world’s foremost experts in Web usability” (Business Week)
- “the Web’s usability czar” (WebReference.com)
- “the reigning guru of Web usability” (FORTUNE)
- “eminent Web usability guru” (CNN)
- “perhaps the best-known design and usability guru on the Internet” (Financial Times)
- “the usability Pope” (Wirtschaftswoche Magazine, Germany)
- “new-media pioneer” (Newsweek)
- One of the “world’s most influential designers” (Businessweek)
He owns his own design studio called Hicksdesign based in Oxfordshire, UK. Hicksdesign is a partnership between him and Leigh Hicks, where they have worked with clients together globally since 2002. They offer services such as web and product design, brand identity, iconography and print.
Tim Brown is a designer, author and speaker based in New York and has earned numerous design awards. He is Head of Typography at Adobe where he helps people find, get, organise and use fonts. He has been designing websites and practicing typography since 2003.
He is also the chair of IDEO. He frequently speaks about the value of design thinking, creative leadership, and innovation to business leaders and designers around the world.