IxD104 – Pocket Pocket – Kyle Tezak

Kyle Tezak

Kyle Tezak is an independent designer and illustrator in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He works with all kinds of companies on projects ranging from brand identity and product design to editorial illustration and large icon sets. Tezak has worked for many famous companies including Netflix, Unicef and The New York Times.

What initially caught my eye was Tezak’s actual website. It is simply beautiful…

I love monochrome and think it looks so professional. When I looked even further, I found that he also has a talent for using colour correctly.

My favourite collection of his was the Brightwork branding project he completed. Brightwork Health has created several platforms that provide assessment, education, and analytics to healthcare professionals. Their visual identity needed to be flexible but memorable and they wanted to avoid an overly conservative design approach often seen in the industry. The elements that make up the logo as well as simple shapes and lines are used to create complex illustrations, patterns, and graphics that reference the diversity of challenges Brightwork helps address. He understands their needs and what their tone of voice is and utilises this information perfectly to create the final product…

My favourite thing about Kyle Tezak’s work is that he understands that you do not always have to have super detailed logos and icons for the branding to be successful. He showcases how less can be more.

I have decided to use the master/apprentice approach on an icon set created by Tezak…

Here is how it went…

I decided to recreate an icon from Tezak’s renewable energy collection. This was surprisingly difficult to recreate because of the straight lines and angles. I think I did do a pretty good job and with more practice, I know I will become more precise and pay more attention to the smaller details.