IxD104 – Week 2 – Getting Iconic

Week 2 – Getting Iconic

This week we began looking at iconography. We spoke about the history of icons and how Icons have changed how the world functions. They are language agnostic, meaning they are recognised globally. They help us function in our everyday lives and come in particularly handy for us humans, due to our ever decreasing attention span. We looked at many different icon designers, my favourite of which being Kyle Tesak (Pocket Profile Pending!) His style is not very complex, showing me that icons don’t always have to be super detailed. We also looked through a few different icon sets from various Olympic games.

Paul spoke about how difficult creating an icon set can be, due to their being no room for inconsistencies in their design. All icons in a set must have the same line width, fillings, scale, colour scheme… otherwise it will look unprofessional. I went on further into my research and read the E-book, “Icon Design Guide”, by IconUtopia. This is a really short, useful read, which I really recommend. He spoke about beginning your icon designing skills by starting with your passions. I myself am feeling very inspired by this and am going to attempt to make my own personal icon set… I will keep the blog updated on how this goes!

Paul also gave us a few tasks to complete for next week. We have to continue developing ideas for our travel app. I am really enjoying the process of coming up with ideas. I feel that my downfall is always reading and researching, therefore this weeks goals is to spend at least one hour a day just reading articles or books in order to soak up as much information as possible. The amount I learnt from the short e-book surprised me, so I definitely need to continue this to heighten my skills and knowledge.

WEEKLY REFLECTION

Today’s class was great and we got a lot of inspiring examples. I am really excited to continue growing my ideas for the travel app.