IxD301 – Book Review – Responsive Web Design

IxD301

Book Review

Responsive Web Design by Ethan Marcotte

Since it’s release in 2011, Ethan Marcotte’s book has become a fundamental resource for anyone working on the web. The book teaches how to think beyond the desktop, and craft designs that respond to your users’ needs. It provides new tips and tricks for browser support, looks closer at solutions for serving images, explores the role of progressive enhancement in web design and finds better methods for managing bandwidth. It demonstrates how you can deliver a quality experience to your users no matter how large (or small) their display.

Topics covered in the book include…

• Our Responsive Web
  • The Flexible Grid
  • Flexible Images
  • Media Queries
  • Becoming Responsive

This very short read proved very useful to me when trying to make my portfolio site responsive. Prior to covering it in class, responsiveness is something I have never had to consider. However now I completely understand the importance of it. This book is great because it is very short and easy to read. The information is succinct and to the point.

The book consists of a wealth of hands-on examples of using CSS for developing your responsive websites, many of Ethan s experiences and a shift of perspective from fixed width to fluid or hybrid development.

It is filled with CSS and markup examples, topped up with strategy and anecdotes and experiences. After reading this book thoroughly I felt definitely ready to get started to changing my focus to responsiveness. My only regret is that I didn’t read it at the beginning of my webflow project.

Going forth with the knowledge provided in this book, I feel that it will help me design websites in a more organised order, with my user at the forefront of my mind, always! This is a great book, one which I really recommend everyone to read. I purchased my copy for a couple of pound, second hand on amazon. I will look forward to reading more of Marcotte’s books. Definitely worth a read!