My planning started off by me quickly grabbing my iPad and doing some quick sketches when I was listening to music and got ideas of lyrics I wanted to use. I initially chose different lyrics and spent a little while drawing them out into a design before I decided on the final lyrics of “My hesitation is the enemy”. Once I chose to do these lyrics instead, I looked up inspiration and also drew a couple quick ideas on my iPad, then more on paper.

The first set of lyrics I had planned to do were “I just wanna be outta my mind” from a Yungblud song. Here are the two sketches I came up with at that time:

I liked these sketches, however, they didn’t really fit the brief and they were just from an idea I got on the spot.

I wanted to create something that more closely resembled its genre, as well as something based off pieces that I have been inspired by. This came to me more easily once I changed the lyrics I wanted to work with.

Below are the other sketches I came up with for my second idea after I did some research and looked for more solid inspiration.

I then went to my sketchbook and defined this idea slightly further, as well as coming up with a third idea. I also went and had a look at Adobe Fonts and wrote some quick notes alongside these to help me choose the right typefaces for the execution of the digital design.

I then decided that my favourite idea of the three was the second one as it most closely related to the punk genre and the research that I had done.

I developed this idea in Adobe Illustrator:

This was my first version, and I decided then to test how it would look with a red line striked through the middle of “ENEMY”,

I then remembered about the Social Distortion poster that I had seen, and how I liked the idea of putting two versions of text on top of one another, separated by a black background (white background in my case). I then tried this out for myself, and also increased the size of the text at the same time.

This version will be my final design.