Areas of Interest in Graphic Design

When thinking of the future and what I want to do with my degree initially Branding and Advertising are my first interests that I would want to explore. I didn’t really like that side and always thought I would do something regarding typography or print. I always loved doing mixed media and print within my work. Working for a brand or advertising agency would allow me to know more about the industry and clients. As my briefs in university were not real life just made to fit what we needed to learn and complete. I really like the routine and the steps you take to get to the outcomes, especially the research and development side. I would love to incorporate some of my print techniques into any job I take on where appropriate.

Branding and Advertising in unusual ways are what got me interested in this type of design, such as Guerrilla Marketing. I really like how this is so immersive and includes the public in a big way. I have seen so many ways in which brands use space to advertise or grab the attention of their target audience. A few examples that really grabbed my attention are:

1. Canadian campaign ‘Raising The Roof’s Street Posters’. This was posters placed where homeless youth would be sitting low on the wall and onto the ground where it would easily be missed but had a hard-hitting message that when read made the public think and caused more awareness to the cause.
  2. Another well-known marketing campaign by McDonald’s used a zebra crossing and changed it into a box of fries. It was a huge piece of street art that gained a lot of attention.
  • The OldTimer Billboard in Austria is on the edge of a cliff bridge, and it is an extension of a billboard-type advertising. You won’t be able to miss it as you must drive through the actual billboard as the road and entrance you drive through is an open mouth, making it an interactive and fun thing for the audience.
  1. Another one that is huge and bold is a paint company Coops Paints where the big, large vertical billboards have an extension of paint dripping down and onto the carpark and over vehicles and other things in the car park. This one really stands out and I love how big and interactive it looks for the audience.