IxD103 – Research – Getting familiar with wireframing

Before I really begin getting into sketching the wireframes for my blog page, I think it is vital that I do the research to help my mind understand the importance and purpose of the task at hand and how to make sure I use it to my advantage, rather than just viewing it as an obligatory step, just because it’s what we’re directed to do!

I have completed wireframes a couple of times before, however like I already stated, I was just completing them for the sake of it, not fully understanding what I was doing! Daniel showed us this diagram below demonstrating how junior designers try to force the work! To try and avoid this I began researching what I should do instead.

Definition – A website wireframe, also known as a page schematic or screen blueprint, is a visual guide that represents the skeletal framework of a website. Wireframes are created for the purpose of arranging elements to best accomplish a particular purpose. 

Wireframes create a mechanism to break out of obvious design paradigms. They enable you to better defend the direction(s) you chose to pursue, and help you slow down to point in the right direction before you speed down the wrong road. In an article written on DreamerUX, named ‘How to get value from wireframes’, they state, ‘After a decade in the design world, I’ve learnt that how something works or why something is the way it is, is much more important than how something looks. Senior designers spend much less time on cosmetics, and much more time validating that they’re going the right direction.’ I found this really interesting, as I find myself always thinking towards the end goal of choosing a nice colour scheme etc. when I should be focusing on the layout and how everything works first. I am going to try change my mindset for designing my own portfolio website in the next few weeks.