IxD104 – Week 01 – Image and Data Visualisation

Week 01 – Image and Data Visualisation

Today was the beginning of our new module IxD104. Paul introduced the module where we will be covering image and data visualisation. Paul explained how images are used to communicate and how we will be focusing on the Illustrative and Diagrammatic side. We looked at work from students from previous years. I’m really excited to learn how to create images in a more efficient way. I also started my weekly diary and am really going to focus on reflecting on my work every single week this semester, as it is a vital step needed to help me improve as a designer.

I have done quite a bit of research this week in order to gather more ideas. I done a pocket profile on Laurence King Publishing as well as looking at people who use data visualisation to create art. I found this very interesting as numbers and maths has always fascinated me.

Paul spoke about the Master/Apprentice approach to learning how to create icons. One of our tasks for the week is to recreate icons from a particular icon set created by professionals. I have a separate blog post showcasing how mine turned out. We are also beginning to develop ideas for a travel app.

Week 01 Reflection – I am personally feeling really positive about this semester and I am really determined to build upon and improve my skills. I have some great ideas and can’t wait to learn more. My main goals are to keep my blog updated every week and document everything, as it will make it easier to not only mark it at the end, but also watch my development. Practice makes perfect after all!