Week 9 Ceramics workshop

Week 9 we started our ceramic pieces, my idea for my ceramic piece was to create an ancient rune display to tie in with the different architecture that I was drawing. Ancient ruins can reveal a lot about past lives and how people worshipped gods or even different sacrifices that were performed at these ruins. I wanted to add the oni mask still to be the main subject of the ceramic piece, but I added little details like Peony flowers to represent life and the beauty of what’s to come in it. I wanted the ancient ruins to look very worn dying and old to fill with the static of the piece and related back to olden day occult.

I continue to further research different architecture and try to see if I can piece together anything that would work with these ancient ruins, unfortunately, nothing sprung to my mind so I continued with my main idea. I started moulding the clay under this letting my hands do the magic, I do love making sculptures and I feel like this is one of my stronger pieces. These runs meant a lot to me and I am very attached to the piece overall I’m so happy with the outcome and the way the colours just pop off the sculpture itself, I decided not to glaze it so it would have this matte finish to represent the rock texture for the ruins and I painted it with acrylic paints mixing different shades of green for the grass and different shades of pink for the flowers