Big Crochet Challenge – Learning How to Crochet and Creating Samples

Crochet Samples (Granny Circles, Granny Squares and Own Pattern):

Crocheted Garment (Bralette):

Crocheting with Recycled Plastic Shopping Bags:

Crocheted Daisy’s and Roses:

To create the crochet pieces, I learnt how to make a granny circle however, when increasing and decreasing the stitches I stumbled into a happy accident as when I was continuing to make the granny circles the ends ended up rushing and layer making it look like flowers. I feel the granny circles reflect my large scale, circular bubble piece but with more elegant and refined approach creating more three dimensional, sculptural pieces. I would like to consider making a few more of my granny circle flowers and combine them within my personal project. To experiment further I wanted to do a large scaled crochet piece (large granny circle crochet) as it was a similar process to the arm knitting that we got to try in within the first 2 weeks of Fashion Textiles. I found creating the large granny circle crochet quite tricky as it was a lot harder to find what chain you had to go in and definitely made a few mistakes along the way but when looking at the final piece I was pleased about how it turned out as it was my first time doing a crochet arm knit instead of the original arm knit that I knew how to do .

Next, I wanted to try and experiment with a mix of crochet stitches by creating granny squares, which also give me the idea to create a mix of different types of Daisy’s within my final personal project as the centre of the granny squares that I was making had a Daisy in the middle of them. To create the granny squares I watched a tutorial on YouTube however, I realised that I made a few mistakes in the first one so I attempted to again continuing the same process but had a a few mistakes in it to but I feel that I am able to show that testing a new crochet pattern can be difficult for a first time crocheter and that I can also show that you don’t always get if right the first time and that it takes practice however, even though my granny squares aren’t perfect they still look unique. For my next crochet samples, I started experimenting with double crochet stitches and then realised that I was creating my own crochet pattern within my small square samples so I decided to continue with my own pattern for a bigger crochet piece and started experimenting with increasing and decreasing stitches. I really enjoyed being able to adapt a double crochet stitch that then developed into my own pattern and the wool colours that I chose for these experimental crochet pieces.

I wanted to take my crochet skills that I had learnt within Fashion Textiles and try and create a garment. To create the garment (Bralette) I watched a YouTube tutorial on how to create it step by step. I chose a jade green wool that was sturdy and breathable whilst being fashionable. I found it difficult to work out what length I needed to make the straps as I wanted to make sure it was secure and wouldn’t break off as the Bralette is quite delicate. I feel that overall, that the crochet stitch pattern looks like flowers liked together if you look closer and that I have done well at being able to construct a garment together for the first time using my crochet skills that I have learnt throughout the 10 weeks of Fashion Textiles.

From creating wool out of an old t-shirt in the first 2 weeks of Fashion Textiles I wanted to try and continue the reuse and recycling of an item that we use daily so I wanted to use a mix of plastic shopping bags such as a SuperValu and TK Max bag and crochet a flower to show another way on how you can recycle plastic in a unique and fun way. I really like how this piece came out and shows that anything can be used to crochet if you put your mind to it.

I wanted to take the flower idea from creating the granny circles (happy accident) and the reuse of a plastic bag to create a crochet flower and teach myself how to make Daisy’s and roses by watching YouTube tutorials, experimenting with different wools and sizes. I really liked being able to learn another crochet technique that I can maybe replicate within my final personal project.

Overall, I feel that crochet has been a big part of my work within the 10 weeks and would like to consider using crochet elements within my final personal project using the skills and crochet stitches that I have experimented with.