Creating Texture in Clay by Pressing in Different Textured Fabrics and Objects

Following from mark making, I wanted to create texture I wanted to experiment with clay by placing and pushing in different textured fabrics garments such as wool and lace and other objects around the house that then created a textured surface on the clay. For the first piece I used woollen cardigans and jumpers, mixed with lace and few extra scrap fabrics to get an array of different textures on one piece. For the second piece I used a broken ceramic flowered textured pot to make the texture on the pot leaving an impression of the pot on the clay. I feel if I was to consider creating something similar within my final piece that I should consider the thickness of clay as even though I rolled the clay thin, once if air dried it became very fragile which when I picked it up it broke a part of the piece off. To mend this I used a method similar to Kintsugi – the Japanese art of repair however, instead of using gold to mend the break, I thought it would be interesting to use crochet. I created a simple chain stitch and glued it to each side of the crack to imitate Kintsugi. I enjoy the juxtapose of using the soft texture of wool against the chalky texture of the clay. If I’d had more time I would have liked to try dipping the chain stitch into clay slip to repair the piece. I also loved being able to experiment with a different medium that might not be particularly used within fashion textiles but using clay to show another way I can mark make, showing diverse mediums that I can use throughout the AAD012 module without mark making with usual mediums such as paint, pencils, chalk or paper.