Day 6 Fashion Textiles – Big Knit Workshop – Creating Interesting Shibory and Tie-Dye Effects on Fabric With spices/juice/fruit and veg Dyes and Dying a T-shirt For The Big Knit Workshop

Creating coloured dyes out of spieces, juice, fruit and veg:

Final t-shit Dyed for big knit workshop:

Shibory and tie-dye techniques:

Knit workshop final examples:

I had to create and experiment with fruit, veg and spice or anything around the house that would create a dye for my t-shirt. For the dyes I wanted a reddish/pink, orange, yellow, and green so for the orange and yellow I used Turmeric and Paprika  spices 3tps each to get a good colour. For the reddish/pink I mixed avocado, raspberries, grapes and blackcurrant juice together as the avocado on its own wasn’t adding colour so I mixed it to get the colour I wanted. I then decided to do spinach to create green dye however it was the same as the avocado and decided to remove it altogether and just focused on the three colours I had. I then experimented with different fabrics to try out shibory and tie dye with the dyes I created to test before dying my t-shirt. After experimenting I twisted and knotted parts of my t-shirt to tie dye experiment to see what patterns would cone out and then add shibory techniques adding the three dyes created however when drying the t-shirt the colours slightly lightened I had so much fun creating mess and experimenting with a mixture of samples using techniques learned in semester 1.

For the big knit we had to cut our t-shirt up to turn it into a ball of fabric like a wool ball ready to knit with. After we had cut our t-shirt we learned how to knit with our arms however, after I found it easy to cast on and knit I ended up dropping a few stitches near the end trying to cast off, which After trying to fix it left a few bigger gaps with in the knitted piece but it was enjoyable to knit with my arms.

For the rest of the day I experimented further with knitting another piece with my arms with chunkier pink wool and then decided ro start knitting with knitting needles using a red, pink orange and yellow mixed wool making 2 separate knitted pieces from the same wool to create a bag by tack stitching around to fix both sides together. I then enjoyed stitching so much I wanted to do the same knit stitch again but experiment with different types of wool to show that the same knitting technique can change when using different types of wool. Overall I found the big knit workshop as it was nice to try different techniques on how to knit and found that knitting is very therapeutic and relaxing to do.