Lip Sync Animation

I gathered together three short videos for possible lipsync audios, then asked my friends for a second opinion.

Mulaney_’horse loose’

TBFQ_’your mum’

Slimecicle_’circle of life’

The consensus was that the John Mulaney quote should be used as it was one person (not conversational) and most of the runtime was dialogue.

I then took reference photos of myself to match up with the words.

“‘Cuz there’s a horse

“loose

“in the

“hospital!

“It’s never happened before!

“No one knows what the horse is gonna do next!

“Least of all

“the horse!”

I also used the advice and reference drawings given in this video:

As well as some screenshots from class PowerPoint slides.

Using Toon Boom, I drew out the poses alongside the words, changing a few of the later poses to better fit the emotion I wanted to convey. The lip sync references and advice helped me achieve the smooth animation of the mouth.

Poses:

Satisfied with this progress, I then added in-betweens to smooth out the body animation.

Inbetweens:

The finishing touch on the sketch was the jaw movement, which I split into 1, 2 and 3 – 1 being the smallest movement and 3 being the jaw for a wide open mouth.

Full sketch:

At this point, I asked Aodhan for notes, and he gave me some pointers; 

• Add different follow-through rates (one hand reaches destination before the other)
  • Clean up lines 

On the line ‘in the hospital’, I added some delay to the hand on the right side of the screen, so to make it less perfect and mechanical. Clean lines were added too.

Static line:

Again, the last thing to do was the jaw. I animated it on a separate layer to the head and then deleted the overlapping lines.

Final animation:

Full development:

Overall, this process went very smoothly and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. The Domics tutorial was very helpful, and the only thing I would change if I had more time would be adding more fluidity in the body movements – but as that was not the purpose of the animation assignment, I left it to a minimum.