Wisp Watcher

Right, so I was right to worry, because the deadline is close and I am not going to get Ifrit done in time. So I moved onto plan B and that was to model the Fairy character, since it looked like the most simplest one to do in a small amount of time.

So modelling began, and this time I am somewhat comfortable with the software and so I was able to build up and start modelling quite quickly. Though I had to change some of the shapes I was using that better suited what I was trying to do. For example I had some cone shapes as blocking shapes but I needed to change them into spheres as they are much better to sculpt.

Other shapes that I used for this model are torus shapes, which were used for the collar for the cloak and the bottom half of the hat, and then I used a cylinder shape which was used for the collar on the hat. So the model was mainly complete, and I messed around with the downtopo for somethings. Using that I got the cloak collar and the hat really smooth so that was that. I then tried to apply some texture and colour onto the model, but I found the blender method of doing this really complicated. Therefore I exported my model and went into Maya for the texturing because I know what I’m doing with that software.

So in Maya I was able to quickly give my model textures and colours, however, not all the textures came out how I thought they would. With the parts that I had used that downtopo thing on, the colour of the texture was the only thing visible, so it is very possible I missed a step that would have allowed the texture to come through on those parts. However part of me liked how it looked so I wasn’t really disappointed. The only part where the texture did work was on the hat collar, which actually provided a nice contrast in my opinion.

So instead of choosing between the two versions, I decided to mix them, so I have the blue as the cloak, and I mix the red and tan for the hat. This looks so much better than having most of it one colour.

For a little bit of extra flare I decided to have some little tiny fairy things surround my model. My model looked kind of weird just by itself and I thought that the tiny fairies would add to the cuteness of the model, which is something I think I achieved.

So the above image is the completed model. Not totally ready yet as there are some post-production aspects that I would like to do the model to make it even better.

Now this is final model which I have called ‘Wisp Watcher’. I think it really suits the character and the post-production effects really help the model come to life. The only thing I can think of that be an improvement would be some animation. I could make the tiny fairies or wisps move around with the Watcher looking around watching the wisps move. That would look really nice.

Overall, I do think the model could be more textured as the cloak and hat could look so much better. I say this as I’ve seen what the others have done, and I feel like my character is lacking something, and I think that something is textures.