Ifrit Spirit – New Form

So I decided for my model that I am going to create the Ifrit Spirit character as it looks so cool and yet it is cute, it is also my favourite character design. However, looking at it, it looks a bit complicated to model all of it for never using blender before. So I thought I made a little change.

The change I made was to get rid of the legs entirely and make the character a lot more spirit-like. To be honest I like this new form a lot more than the old one. Below are some references for the change I made to the Ifrit character.

Alright, now that I have the idea, I started to begin modelling Ifrit. The process seemed easy enough, after I started getting the hang of the blender software. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, the shape was coming along nicely and it was starting to seem like Ifrit. It was kind of amazing how it was starting to come about really. However I hit a bit of an issue…

… When I tried to create the shape of the fur at the back of the head, it just wasn’t working the way that I wanted it to. It was very annoying how it wasn’t working and I was just ready to give up.

After trying this out, I had my one on one tutorial with Daryl, and he suggested that I attempt to do the fur in layers, to sort it out in sections and go at it that way. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, because it seemed so obvious after he said it.

So I did just that, and it was working out so much better than previous attempts which made me so happy. However I was just getting basic shapes done and nothing really solid done. I started to worry at this point. May need to go in a different direction.