Week One – Introduction to IxD301 – Designing with Content

Today Kyle introduced us to IxD301, a new module where we are going to explore the importance of considering content – in all its forms – as a core element of any piece of interaction design that can, itself, be designed. We discussed how we will be undertaking a series of exercises, which include:

• Identifying content types and taxonomies designing content systems
  • Considering future, as yet unimagined content delivery platforms
  • How to build content responsively
  • Usability Testing content and promotional strategy

… basically, we are going to be focusing on building our portfolio site and learning about content strategy. I’m really looking forward to getting stuck into this module. Kyle has told us to think of it as self-promotion. We looked at Push VS Pull Content, Content Design and how it’s about words and vocabulary and also the presentation of the content to the user so that it is easy to use, meets their need and is trustworthy.

The content we include in our sites is so important as it will determine what people will gather about us as designers and help them form opinions about us. From reviewing and gathering inspiration from several different portfolio sites, the best ones are always the simplest. Well thought out Information architecture, obvious call to action buttons and consistent layouts throughout pages, all make a website easier to use and therefore gives a more pleasant experience.

Content Audit exercise…

Content Audit “The Process of systematically reviewing the content you have on your site. It allows you to look closely at your optimisation efforts to see how well you are meeting your objectives.”

I decided to do my content audit on one of the most visually inspiring portfolio sites I came across, by product designer Vandana Pai.

More Inspiring portfolio sites…

• Alex Coven

• Ambre Margerit

Investigating with Google Trends…

To help me get my head around the correct language I should be using in order to aid the discovery of my website, I have been doing a lot of research. Something I never really thought of before was the importance of the language I will choose. Through using google trends, I have been able to search the frequency of how many times certain words have been searched, to help me see what will be the most effective wording to help my site be discoverable.

Sitemap for my Portfolio site…

A site map is a list of pages of a web site within a domain. I found this was a very effective method that was going to make it a lot easier for me to structure the initial wireframes of my website. It was also beneficial as I was able to review it and check if I had included all the vital things that would make my website come together. Site maps are easy and quick to assemble and an organised method of designing the flow of your website.

Week 1 review…

After choosing the content we want to include in our portfolio site, the next step is to write out the content. Our task this week is to write three case studies on past projects, as well as deciding what to write on our about me page, homepage and organise our content details. This should be quite a straightforward task as we did do a lot of writing about our projects last year. I am intrigued to see Kyle’s take on my way of writing. I am willing to learn how I can improve upon my written skills in order to keep the content shorter and too the point to sustain engagement my target audience.