IXD303: Empathy, Site & User Journey Maps

Empathy map

This empathy map represents what typical users may say, think, do and feel before having access to the app I am designing. I found doing this beneficial as it gets me into the mindset of my users. It has helped me uncover more reasons why this app is so important and potential features to include in the app.

One thing that I hadn’t thought about before was that more pandas may be kept in captivity if an app like this doesn’t exist. This is because their carers may be reluctant to release them since they won’t know where they are or the condition of their health. Whereas, with the app, they would be able to track these things, give them peace of mind and be able to help them if need be.

I also considered the users that may be worried about using new technology in case they don’t know how to use it. While keeping this in mind, I will ensure I make an app that is easy to use and navigate with no training on how to use it needed. This is important considering there is a wide target audience of both young and older people with varying knowledge of technology.

Site map

Doing this sitemap allowed me to see my app from a bird’s eye view and ensure I included everything I needed. A benefit I found was that it was easy to change and improve things if need be. This meant I could discover navigation issues before I started designing which would save a lot of time in the long run.

Seeing the app from this point of view ensured that users had easy access to things they needed in each area. For example, I realised that it was important for users to be able to go straight to the panda’s location from alerts so they could track them more quickly. This was essential because every second counts in situations like this. This is also the reason why you can go straight to alerts from the home page in an emergency.

I like how this turned out as I used colour to distinguish certain areas from each other such as, “alerts”. I will be able to look back at this when designing my wireframes to ensure I don’t miss out on any screens.

User journey map

Here is a PDF version of this:

user journey map pdf

This user journey map includes users’ actions, questions, happy moments, pain points, and opportunities throughout their time using the app.

I included a section that considers these things while using their current method before the app. This allowed me to analyse the issues with this method, how I could improve their experience, and why an app like this is so important. One thing that I hadn’t thought about before was having the option to track the location of their colleagues. With the current method, it is hard to get their exact location as they just use walkie-talkies. Therefore, in the app, all the users would be connected, and they can see each other’s location and share their own.

I think the most beneficial thing from this task was discovering the potential pain points. This allowed me to uncover them and therefore avoid them when designing my app. For example, a pain point may be that a user can’t find what they are looking for because they are in a stressful situation. A solution for this is to make the app as easy to use and navigate as possible.

Lastly, when a user is checking a panda’s current health, they may notice something abnormal. An opportunity for this would be to allow users to flag any concerns they have. This way, the app can closely monitor it and the user will be prepared before they get a more serious alert.

After completing these tasks, I feel so much more prepared to start my designs. I have uncovered new and useful features I could add and feel that I can represent my users better.