Cinematography & Film analysis lecture

Cinematography:

In week 2 we had a short presentation where we were shown how to work with the ‘Cinematography’ part in films and short films. In this presentation Ryan showed many interesting topics that I find quite peculiar.

With the points that I was most excited was with the part of lighting that Ryan showed that showed great difference in filming or even with the animation that were made.To help me more about the lighting informations I searched some videos that helped me a lot in the part of lighting in animation and films.

Website:

Help video:

The early days of high key lighting:

The use of this technique can actually be traced back to a more logistical use than stylistic. In the early days of television and film, technological limitations made it difficult for filmmakers to process pictures with higher contrast ratios. Films and TV often veered to opposite ends of the lighting spectrum. This included utilise either low-key lighting and high contrast such as in Film Noir or high key lighting for more exposed subjects and sets. Some great early examples can be seen on the set of I Love Lucy.

Set of I Love Lucy - High key lighting examples

Three Point Lighting - Three Point Lighting Setup - StudioBinder

Help Video:

Colors:

Help Website:

http://www.arttherapyblog.com/online/color-psychology-psychologica-effects-of-colors/#.Y_umAOzP3AM

Video: 

We were also given different styles of shorts movies that were shown to us to make a short analyse using the new techniques that we learnt, I had a bit of confusion with why topical being more complicated for me because of the sometimes ‘language’ but with the help on the slides that Ryan showed I managed to understand better. The short films we were shown were For The Birds, Rango, Piper and other short animations.

With these videos that I found in research I managed to learn a lot in a small part Cinematography, in this videos shows which are the styles and examples that helped me a lot to understand.