Week 7 Oil painting and more Research

We had a painting class with Luke Foster and he taught us how to use oil paints and experiment with mixing different colours to create other colours. I have always disliked using oil paints because they were very hard to use and you had to have a very good blending skill to create something that looked not like a child’s drawing. I experimented with my old style again and added a hint of realism creating this sort of entity from another world. But I realised that I was back into my comfort zone I needed to stride away from it, although oil paints are out of my comfort zone I decided to go with another route because I still felt comfortable painting and I wanted to really think outside the box and explore things that I’m not used to.

I decided to draw a statue that I found in a book about the occult, this statue represented the balance between a feminine sort of figure on a masculine figure. I loved the tone and depth shown and I wanted to recreate that to test my skills and see where I could take it, so I decided to replicate this statue with a pen, I sat drawing for a tedious amount of time shading and I decided that the way the pen allowed me to use tone and depth and have complete control over it was going to be a definite factor in my final piece so I quickly moved on to drawing buildings that I found from magazines scraps.