Genndy Tartakovsky uses broaden shapes within his characters which makes the silhouettes of each character stand out from each other. I kept silhouette in mind while creating my concepts.

Character concept sketches

For my concepts, I experimented with different shapes and body types for my characters. With the first few characters, I wasn’t designing them with an object in mind, except for the character who’s object is their head but I felt that would be too easy.

I went with designs with their objects in mind. One is a character without skin on their face, and their object is their skin, but I felt like it would be too complicated to sculpt. The design I’m most drawn to is the puppet character who controls a small marionette and uses it to communicate to people.

References

I like how the zombies look within the movies with their squarish shaped heads, broad shoulders and skinny limbs. This body type within the films inspired the shape that I want to go with my character. I also like their big hands and sunken dead looking eyes. I want to apply this to my character but to make my cha

Character references

I liked the sketch of my character but I believed that his face looked a little flat and bland so I looked up some references of actual dummies. I really like the look of the first dummy, its cheeks, smile, sunken eyes and tiny pupils makes it look slightly creepy and is the look I want for my character. I’m using the other two dummies as reference for my character’s hair, suit and shoes this seems like common attire for dummies.

For the object, I want it to be a small marionette that the dummy will be holding with strings from its fingers. The puppet needs a mouth which I’m taking inspiration from a nutcracker as their mouths look creepy. I want its limbs to be more simple. I want it to have similar cheeks to the dummy which I’m using references for. I kind of like the design of the Bidy Bab from FNAF as it has a similar mouth to the nutcracker and I like it s big eyes.

Final sketches

Sketch of pose I want the characters to be in

Final drawing of Dummy