Layout and sculpted head

I always found sculpting tricky, but I laid out a lot more shapes which made sculpting a lot easier and more accurate to my reference.

Full sculpt

Retopology

The retopology was very time consuming and if I were to do it again, I wouldn’t make the polygons as small as I did.

Slight extra sculpting

I added a few small details such as some creases on the face and slight folds on the clothes.

I also added more detail to the hands.

Baking maps

Texturing

The references that I saw of dummies showed them being made on some sort of plastic, but I decided to go with wood for mine as I believe it looks good and adds more texture.

Experimenting with eye colour

Green and blue blend too much with eyeball.

White shine stands out too much.

Final colour, blue shine

Laying out shapes

Sculpt on face

I wanted to add sculpting to the puppet to give it a creepy smile like the dummy. I also sculpted the top of its torso by adding space so that it can open its mouth wider, similar to a nutcrackers.

Retopology

I only did retopology on what I sculpted.

I had to get rid of some of the faces on the puppet as it nearly had as many faces as the dummy.

Texture

I made the entire body of the puppet wooden to make it look like its clothes are painted on. I also made its eye metal so that they’re a lot more shiny and disturbing looking.

Both characters textured

Dummy Posed

Adding string

Finished model

I really like the outcome of this piece and how uncanny the dummy looks. If I were to do it again, I would try to keep a better eye on how many polygons I’m using, but I believe its because my object is a full body of another character.