Posted in Uncategorized

vertical slice – group work

GROUP WORK/LECTURER FEEDBACK

I had a lot of apprehension and stress due to this assignment because the group work aspect felt like it was falling apart.

Talking to the lecturers during the first few weeks their main concern seemed to be communication and the sense of scale. I told the other group member who was doing environment I was focusing on hallway modular pieces but he didn’t let me know that is also what he was doing so it looked like we weren’t talking about what we were doing.

After talking to the lecturers their main concern seemed to be communication and the sense of scale. I told the other group member who was doing environment I was focusing on hallway modular pieces but he didn’t let me know that is also what he was doing.

My work is to now just focus on modular pieces that can be used in the level design. The games people finally decided on an appropriate scale for our character so I was able to properly consider it. I have also taken on responsibility for doing all of the texturing for the assets because no one else wanted to do it.

The communication in my group hasn’t been good. I’ve tried a few times to keep it going but getting very little in response. I asked multiple times for certain files etc. to be shared for me to texture that were only shared late the day before class. I set up organised shared files for everyone to easily access but even that didn’t seem to work.

I know some people get held up during the week but I was only asking for the files for things I knew were already finished the previous week. Very few of the files were unwrapped in a clean way for me to work on as well or were not checked for things like flipped normals. When I asked for them to be fixed multiple times I still got no response months later.

During week 6 while we were giving presentations a few of the group members tried to throw me under the bus by saying the textures etc weren’t finished when I updated my progress of getting through all the textures during the week. I also said before we gave the presentation that I had all the textures completed. I am finding it difficult to be heard or listened to in this group as I am talked over constantly or not updated on previously agreed things changing.

I brought this up to the lecturer and after him coming to speak to the group things actually felt a lot better as it was clear what all we had to do etc. There is still some communication problems mainly between some animation students deciding things privately with the games students and not communicating it back to the rest of us that new assets being made along with the games students not understanding that all the assets/animations must be made by us and that we can’t use the default unreal assets.

This was the main feedback we were given so I focused on going through and cleaning up the assets to make them more painterly.

During the easter break communication has been good some of us have agreed to physically come into uni on Wednesday to do some stuff together as there is only so much that can get sorted over a discord call. Overall communication was ok during the break but once we got back into class it got better again.

This was the feedback I had taken down when we got back to class.

Again there is the continued issues of things not feeling cohesive I have had to go away from the art guide I made to try to get the stuff to fit in more with what everyone else is doing. I have brought this up multiple times throughout the semester but haven’t been listened to so I have had to pivot.

On the tester days this is the notes I had taken.