Posted in animation strategies

run cycles

This is how my class exercise run cycle ended up looking. I don’t like how it turned out at all but it gave me a good idea on what I need to do.

run_test

Before I started my version for hand in I wanted to look into run cycles a little more. There was less information available online on run cycles compared to walk but I found a few helpful resources.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/animation/discover/animation-run-cycle.html

Run Cycle Step by Step 3D Animation Tutorial

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKF3bvQjjQS/

standard

Likewise with my walk cycles I am going to do this one in 2d using toonboom. I basically just redid the class exercise for this one again but made it more clean.

My main reference was the run cycle from the animators survival kit. Along with a few videos posted online.

With this one I found it a little easier from the walk cycle task but I had the head moving from side to side which I really struggled with as perspective especially of the head is the area I struggle with most in my art but I managed to kinda do it which im glad of.

Run_progress

The biggest issue with this is that the arm looks like it is shrinking as it moves so I will need to redo that and the hair is a little awkward still.

Personality

I was struggling to find good references for this compared to the walks so I thought about my sister and her boyfriend who play rugby so I am going to base my run with personality with a video of my sister running. she did more of a jog than a run but it’ll do as a rough reference.

This is the video I used as a reference.

I also found this helpful as it helped me to see how exaggeration helps to convey emotion more and to push the run to be less generic.

Personality_run_progress I forgot to take progress pictures while was animating but this is it almost done I just need to smoothen out and tweak the animation particularly the torso as I feel like it isn’t right. I want to try to portray anger/frustration and also exhaustion like the character has been running up the whole pitch and is still trying to push himself but he is at the end of his limit.

I felt like the timing was my biggest issue so I looked for a few tutorials as guidance.

While these mostly focused on 2D the general idea still applied and was helpful.

On the last class day before submission my main feedback was that it still looked too generic and lacked personality. With this I then went over and played about with timings and exaggerated movement. I believe I did get it to have a bit more personality but I feel like it is slightly still quite generic.

Screen_Recording_2023-11-03_at_19.44.00

This was some feedback I received.

Based on this I went back to try to exaggerate the movement.