Posted in Uncategorized

week 8 rigging with armatures

in class

It took me a while to understand how to use vertex groups and them to assign them to parts but when I figured it out it was definitely a lot easier than regular bone rigging. However I don’t like replacing all the bones with empties as I prefer to see the bones when I am animating.

The weight painting task wasn’t as bad as what I thought it would be. Things being put in vertex groups does make it a lot easier and I will definitely use them for my model.

Figuring out how to rig my character took me a while as the character is quite simple so the rig has to be not overly complicated so that everyone else in my group can use it.

I just had to look at the previs and think about the ways the character needs to move so then I decided to add one rotation bone in the middle and was able to go off from there.

Overall I am pretty happy with how the rig turned out. It may need more bones though to be able to add more dynamic movement. I think I will have to change the angle of the eyebrows though as it being curved made any movement awkward.

To make the weight paint more smooth I watched this tutorial as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG82fogtuCg