Posted in 3D Literacy

Week 7 intro to sculpting

This week’s focus was an introduction to sculpting in blender.

in class

homework

The assignment is to create a character that would fit into the world of the hotel Transylvania series. To do this I looked into the other work by the director Genndy Tartakovsky. Most of his preexisting work was primarily 2D and is very stylised.

His work features strong thick clean lines and is very blocky with harsh angles and long swooping curves. shapes also play a large role in the characters designs. The chracacters are often made from a few simple shapes. it is often a triangle even if the lines themselves are round the silhouette created gives the impression of a triangle.

this is really seen in the concept art for Dracula and the mummy. whereas frankensteins design is a wide rectangle.

I was thinking of possible monsters/creatures I could make that would fit into the visual style so I looked to greek mythology. At first I was exploring the idea of a gorgon/medusa design but then I tried exploring the minotaur.

I looked to pre-existing minotaur designs and found concept art for Atreus from Hades.

in the game itself an alternative design that is more armoured is featured.

before I started designing I looked into how others design character’s.

I found these videos helpful

I wanted to begin with a rough sketch of just general shapes to be able to later refine into something more believeable.

While I feel like this is the best iteration so far I don’t feel like the object the character is holding works well with the hotel theme. the head is also a little too small and requires some exaggeration the skirt piece is also too big so can be shortened a little.